The Birchmere Group comprises several local companies in the property and construction industries.
The parent company, Birchmere Limited, which originated approximately 45 years ago, is a property investment and development company primarily involved in the Industrial sector with a lesser interest in Offices, Shops and Domestic properties.
Companies within the Group include, amongst others, Stansmore (Builders) Limited which was founded in 1936 and represents the construction element of the Group and John H Wilson & Son Limited, (established 1886), who were one of Dorsetís largest building contractors.
The Groupís portfolio now extends to approximately 800,000 sq ft of built factory space in the county. In 1995 we acquired 25 industrial units on the Uddens Trading Estate which was further added to with the construction of six factories in 1998. The company owns the whole of the Bailey Gate Industrial Estate at Sturminster Marshall which extends to around 27 acres. The main focus of the Groupís activities has been centred on Poole where around 70,000 sq ft of factories are owned on the Nuffield Industrial Estate with further units totalling some 150,000 sq ft in Stanley Green, Fleets Lane, Dawkins Road, Ringwood Road and Sandbanks Road. The company also holds sites around Bournemouth Town Centre, Christchurch, Bere Regis, Dorchester and Verwood.
The company seeks to develop around 40,000 sq ft per year in-house through itís own construction division but larger schemes are undertaken by bringing in outside contractors. To facilitate this, the company actively seeks commercial building land to add to itís existing 35 acre land bank. Prime sites including 2.4 acres in Tower Park and 6 acres next to Toys R Us on the Nuffield Estate in Poole, are held for future design and build projects. In 2003, the company acquired the former Royal Navy Cordite Factory at Holton Heath providing over 300,000 sq ft of buildings in a 38 acre site. This theoretically takes the companies built portfolio to over 1.1 million sq ft. However, this purchase was viewed as a long-term commitment with a significant amount of refurbishment and redevelopment required to maximise the siteís full potential.